20080126

The First Injury

I ran over 3 miles straight on Wednesday. 25 minutes of constant running. It was awesome that I finally broke 3 miles and it made me realize how impossibly fast I used to be in High School. Back then I ran cross country and would finish races in under 18 minutes, which I thought was an average/below average (in the bad/slow direction) time. It's going to take a lot of training to reachieve those times... but my training is on hold for now because of a newly acquired mysterious injury.

Back in High School, I injured my knee in cross country my senior year just from overuse. I had to stop running and the injury stuck with me for a few years. It slowed me down and made me very cautious about running alot. I stuck to using ellipticals or swimming for a while for a fear of reagitating that injury. I think running 3 miles on the treadmill messed it up in a new never-seen-before way. The back of my right knee has sharp pain sometimes when I straighten my leg. It only hurt occasionally on Thursday but on Friday it came to fruition (I hope at least). Walking up several flights of stairs, the back of my knee felt like it was freezing into place and sharp pains shot up through my leg. I'm going to rest my leg for a few days and then do a couple weeks of just biking machines or upper body work. Whatever the problem is will hopefully heal itself in that time, or new muscles or ligaments will merely ecclipse the problem, hiding it for a future event down the road. Here's to hoping!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

how about you go see a doctor that might actually help you

PJ said...

If you're going to be running a lot you should take glucosamine. Its the building blocks of ligaments and such. It's given to horses when they have a serious ankle or knee injury.

Glucosamine is pretty expensive in the store. I buy mine at http://www.puritan.com/. They currently have a "buy two get three free" sale. I recently purchased 5 of the 1000mg glucosamine sulfate bottles.

A lot of runners swear by glucosamine. At the least, it should help you recover from your knee injury.

triblog carol said...

Re knee injury. You probably overdid it by running 3 miles straight without building up to it. It took me about a year to build up to 3 miles! You may be alot younger than me, so you can expect faster results, but u should still stick to the 10% rule.